Is any deck really scratch or stain proof?
The true answer is that any type of decking can be damaged under the right circumstances, regardless of what the marketing material may say.
Marks and scratching can occur on any decking material, even under normal use. Moving objects like outdoor settings, tables, chairs, plants, and other hard or heavy objects may leave marks on your deck. Any deck will suffer wear and tear over time; this is a normal part of a well-used outdoor area. With some decking materials, the surface can be restored to the original finish, and others cannot. This is a very important point to consider when choosing material for your new deck.
Builders and homeowners also need to read the installation, care and cleaning guides very carefully before buying or attempting to install a deck, to determine which substances and items can mar or stain the finish of their deck. This is particularly true for synthetic or PVC deck.
Seeing that every deck (regardless of marketing claims) needs some form of regular maintenance, it is important to understand the maintenance required for each type of deck before buying in order to determine which deck best suits your needs. Depending on the type of decking material you choose, the following items may be incompatible:
- Sunscreen lotions and sprays
- Insect repellents (particularly those containing DEET)
- Children’s bubble-blowing solution
- Gasoline and other petroleum derivatives
- PVC glue, caulk, and other adhesives
- Paint removers, paint thinners, and other solvents
- Charcoal lighter fluid
- Snapped chalk lines during construction
- Mortar, concrete, stucco, and other masonry and cement dust
- Abrasive cleansers and scouring pads
- Citrus-based cleaning liquids
- Garden hoses and vinyl flower pots left for extended time periods
- Rubber-backed rugs or mats
- Vinyl tarps, kiddie pools, pool toys, and air mattresses
Obviously, the sooner spills are cleaned, the better; the manufacturer’s instructions should be consulted on how to clean them. Most allow pressure washing with a wide fan tip, provided it’s done gently without excessive pressure.
Should you choose ULTIM8 Bamboo Composite Deck, then you can rest assured that if any extra hard to remove stains or scratches do occur, then just as with a natural wood product you can simply sand away the stain or scratch in the direction of the grain and restore the surface.
Please read our Care & Maintenance Guide which can be downloaded from this website for your convenience.
September 25, 2014
July 30, 2014
July 10, 2014